Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted infection, or STI, which commonly affects women but can affect men as well. There are over 40 types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and they differ from strain to strain and while most target the genital and anal regions others are known to affect the throat and mouth area.
Fortunately, the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) typically has a short lifespan as the body naturally cures the infected cells within 2 years time. The Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) can cause a variety of symptoms and health issues to arise:
- Most people infected with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) show no symptoms at all.
- Out of the 40 types, half cause visible genital warts and the other half causes misshapen cell structure within the infected area which can lead to cancer.
- RRP, or recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, is when the HPV related warts begin to grow in the mouth and/or throat but it rarely occurs when infected with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) unless the virus has directly affected the oral areas.
- Cervical cancer is known to be related to those who have a cancer causing type of HPV. It often goes undetected because it rarely comes with side effects or easily recognized symptoms. Most cases of cervical cancer are found when the woman has an annual gynecological exam that includes screening for cervical cancer. This usually involves taking a small specimen, or scraping, within the vaginal interior and having a lab run the proper tests. Results come in quite quickly so try not to worry if you have to go through it.
- Neck, head, penile, vaginal and vulvar cancers have all been linked to those with cancer causing strains of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is one of the most common of all sexually transmitted infections. Fifty percent of women and men from all around the world will become infected with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) at one point in time.
Treatment for the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is nonexistent considering most cases are healed naturally by their own body. However, there are many treatments for the health issues that stem from the infection being present including warts and cancers.