Accepted as an effective form of alternative medicine, colon hydrotherapy or colon irrigation involves cleansing of the colon (the largest part of the intestine, approximately 5 feet long). The colon is responsible for maintenance of the digestive system. Colon cleansing is recommended to dilute the toxins accumulated in the colon as well as the intestinal tract and promote a healthy digestive system, weight loss in addition to overall well-being.
Accrual of toxins such as stored faecal matter, gas mucus, dead cellular tissue, parasites, worms in the colon can prove to be poisonous and can also find its way into the blood stream thereby leading to problems such as flatulence and irregular bowel movement or in extreme cases, even cancer of the colon. The build up can be attributed to irregular food timings, unhealthy food intake (especially foodstuffs containing preservatives, chemical additives). Thus the belief among medical health professionals that most diseases originate in the intestine does not seem exceedingly far-fetched.
Colon hydrotherapy involves injecting (sometimes using an enema kit) filtered, sterilized and temperature-regulated, low-pressurized water into the intestine where the food waste is loosened and eliminated through natural contractions of the intestinal muscles. At times, water is coupled with herbs and other liquids. It is generally administered under the ministrations of a trained colon therapist. Colon hydrotherapy is mainly useful to eliminate constipation, detoxify the major organs of elimination and restore normal bowel movement. Moreover, colon irrigation has been found to be instrumental in helping one feeling energised and healthy. The best results of colon hydrotherapy can be attained when the therapy is combined with regular exercise and adequate nutrient intake.
Specifically, colon hydrotherapy is used to accomplish the following:
- Cleansing the colon: Toxic material removed so it can no longer harm your body or inhibit assimilation and elimination. Once impacted material is removed, your colon can begin again to function as it was meant to.
- Exercising the colon muscles: The amassing of toxic debris weakens the colon muscles and impairs their functioning. Colon irrigation improves the peristaltic activity (muscular contraction) by which the colon naturally moves material. This will help speed up the transit time of fecal material once the colon muscle have been toned, strengthened, and rejuvenated.
- Hydration of the body: The use of sterilized water in the colon enables our bodies to absorb much needed clean and pure water to hydrate itself and allow it to function effectively as well as dilute the existing toxins.
It must be noted that no scientific verification confirms the supposed positives of colon cleansing in general. The bowel itself is inherently not dirty and excluding drugs, disease or mechanical blockage, cleanses itself automatically. Certain enema arrangements have been linked to heart attacks and electrolyte imbalances, and improperly primed or used equipment can cause infection or damage to the rectum. Frequent colon cleansing can lead to dependence on enemas to defecate and some herbs may interfere with the effectiveness of prescription drugs.
- The Simple Facts of Colon Cleansing – It’s Not as Scary as You Think it is
- Colonic Irrigation – Highway to Healthy Stomach
- Seven Secrets to Hemorrhoid Freedom – Tips to Prevent Hemorrhoids
- Detoxification Diet paving the way to a Healthy Body
- Digest It Colon Cleanse Review – Any Good?
- The Importance of Water While Fasting
- Intussusception Symptoms | Causes | Treatments
- Colitis Ulcerosa Symptoms and Treatment