Florastor or the scientific name of ‘Saccharomyces boulardii lyo’ is yeast probiotic (non-pathogenic) which has the property of acting as temporary flora (from the Latin language Flora-goddess of plants) in improving and maintaining the health of the intestines. As with other probiotics, which is of bacteria derivative, Florastor differs because it is derivative of a strain (therapeutic) of yeast.
In a number of ways, yeast has been proven to be more effective than bacteria in the following:
*Yeast in florastor resides temporarily in flora and gets to be excreted, in the feces, in a number of days.
*Yeast has a surface area ten (10) times greater than bacteria to protect the wall of the intestines and possessed with more pathogens adherence to its surface is easily carried and excreted into the fecaloid matter .
* Yeast has the survival property against gastric juices to reach the intestines (small and large) and the colon where it is indispensable.
* During therapy with the use of antibiotics, genetic material transfer between yeast and bacteria is absent making yeast safer for use in the therapy.
* Yeast has the inherent property of being naturally resistant and is not made weak by antibiotics.
*yeast in Florastor is a diarrhea reducer in patients of total enteral nutrition (TEN).
* Inhibits response to swelling
* Yeast has the peculiar property of absorption enhancement of nutrients.
* Florastor is freeze-dried (lyophilized) which makes it convenient for storage and easy to carry whentravelling.
Florastor being a probiotic has its uses in treating problems of the bowel, e.g. diarrhea, eczema, irritable bowel, lactose intolerance, urinary tract infections, vaginal yeast infections.
Probiotics can also be found in foods such as soy beverages, yogurt, juices and milk. In capsule, powder or tablet form found in dietary supplements. Checking the label is encouraged before intake.
Prior to Florastor side effects had been known. In 1923, Henry Boulard, a French scientist, while working to isolate yeast from varied skins of fruits found out in south East Asia that the indigenous people were using the fruit skins as medication for diarrhea, and since that time Florastor became the pioneer in research for the many medical benefits of yeast.
Florastor side effects to this day has been found limited to hypersensitivity or allergic reactions to Florastor.
It should not be used in instances where a high fever is persistent for two (2) days, especially when taking the same as medication for diarrhea as an antibiotic supplement, Florastor side effects may result if its use is not directed by a physician.
As a precaution to Florastor side effects developing, the FDA or the food and drug administration has not approved Saccharomyces boulardii lyo for use in treating any specific disease/s and should not be made as a substitute for medications medically prescribed.
Further, no evaluation has been made by FDA as regards safety, purity or efficacy of Saccharomyces boulardii lyo. Advantages as well as risks in taking the saccharomyces boulardii lyo are still unknown and properly documented. Purchase from a reliable source is strongly advised to minimize potential contamination in the use of the product.
- D-Mannose Side Effects, Treatment For UTI
- Tips on How to Get Rid of Diarrhea
- Important Krill Oil Side Effects Information
- Recurring Yeast Infections? How to Beat Recurring Candida Fast!
- Home Remedies for Yeast Infection Treatment
- Common Astaxanthin Side Effects
- Radiation Therapy: Side Effects
- Red Yeast Rice Side Effects And Benefits