The Grapefruit diet (also known as the Hollywood Diet) is a veteran weight reduction programme which has garnered hoards of followers since its inception in the 1930s. The golden rule of the diet is the inclusion of half a grapefruit in every meal (whole or as a juice). The Grapefruit diet postulates that grapefruit contains a miraculous fat-burning enzyme which will jumpstart your weight loss. Essentially the diet is a high protein and low carbohydrate plan. Dieters are advised to consume their quota of grapefruit with protein rich foods like meat, eggs, pulses etc.
Since the 1930’s we have been introduced many versions of the Hollywood diet over the years. Most off-shoots urge followers to drastically slash their calorie intake; some forms actually border on being unhealthy. The diet claims to help you shed a whooping 10 pounds in a measly 12 day programme. However, it has been found that the poundage lost is basically from fluids and not from fat.
In entirety, the Grapefruit diet is a quick-fix, which helps you knock of the pounds in a massive frenzy but causes you to put them back on in an equal hurry. This weight-loss plan encourages dieters to keep themselves hydrated and consume plenty of black coffee (this again is version specific). Exercise may or may not be a feature of the diet depending on which testament you are following.
The diet puts forth a meal plan on the following lines:
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, black coffee, half a grapefruit or 8 ounces of grapefruit juice
Lunch: Salad (dressing allowed and encouraged), as much meat as you wish, along with the stipulated amount of the magic fruit
Dinner: Red, green or yellow vegetables (sans starch), salad, all-you-can-eat meat or fish options followed by your trusty grapefruit/juice.
Bedtime snack: A glass of skim milk or tomato juice is included
The Grapefruit diet lays down the following ground rules:
- To see the diet work wonders, you must stick to the list of recommended foods and beverages
- Even portion of grapefruit or juice that you take must be devoid of any form of sweetener
- Followers are allowed to function on an unlimited principle; they can eat the approved menu until they feel full (cannot eat anymore)
- There are no restrictions on method of cooking; fried food, butter is very much permitted
- Snacking should be limited to only once in a day (before bed)
- Stick to the list of suggested foods and do not leave anything out from the meal plan as it is the combination of specific foods with grapefruit that make all the difference
The Grapefruit diet has been severely criticized by nutritionists as no scientific findings have corroborated its claims of grapefruit containing a magic element to facilitate weight loss. It also is not your cup of tea if you are looking for a long term, healthy route to cut down the flab. The plan is restrictive and does nothing to promote good eating behaviour.
- The Dukan Diet Plan – A Look At The Dukan Diet Attack Phase
- The Paleolithic Diet | For You?
- Fat Loss 4 Idiots Review – Any Good?
- Does Slim Fast Work | Slim Fast Review
- Grapefruit Nutrition Facts | How Good Is Grapefruit For Your Health?
- Blood Type Diet: Eat Right 4 Your Type
- Grapefruit Nutrition Facts To Help You Lose Weight
- Adding Potassium Rich Foods In Your Diet