Herpes/HSV is an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and it is caused by two different types of herpes including HSV-1 and HSV-2. Astonishingly, one in every six women, on average, are found to have the Herpes/HSV infection while one is nine men have the same infection.
Known Causes of Herpes Infections
Both strains of Herpes/HSV are able to be passed sexually but there are times where an infected person is less likely to pass it on and more likely. The virus itself is released from open sores but if sexual intercourse occurs when no sores are present, the person without the infection can get it.
The Difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2
HSV-1 is commonly known to be the virus that causes mainly oral infections of the mouth and lips. Fever blisters, cold sores and canker sores are all known for being the first simplex of herpes and yes, they are contagious.
HSV-2 is the leading cause of herpes infections in the genital and anal areas. This strain is different because it causes rapidly repeating outbreaks of sores while HSV-1 will only cause a single outbreak that occurs after coming into contact with another person with oral Herpes.
Signs and Symptoms for Herpes/HSV Infections
- Sores on the mouth or genital regions that bear a resemblance to a fever blister.
- Sores and symptoms in general may occur as early as one week or as late as four weeks (or years in some cases)
- Herpes/HSV can be passed on with or without sores or symptoms of any kind
Treatments for Herpes
Herpes technically has no cure at the current time but there are topical creams, oral medications and other alternative treatments to help an outbreak heal faster and have less violent symptoms. Babies can contract Herpes/HSV from their infected mother and in the right circumstances this infection can be fatal to the newborn. To prevent this STD and many others be sure to practice safe sex of all natures by use of latex condoms or some other medically proven way of preventing the transferring of STDs.
- What Causes Fever Blisters – Fever Blisters On Lips
- Cold Sores Treatment Fast And Effective
- Condoms Reduce Genital Herpes Risk
- Common STDs Symptoms
- Chlamydia Symptoms | Treatments
- STDs Symptoms – Symptoms Of STDs In Women And Men
- Trichomoniasis – Causes, Signs and Treatments
- How to Get Rid of a Cold Sore