Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease that can affect the genitals, anus and oral areas including the lips, mouth and throat of both men and women. In recent times, this particular disease is known for being transmitted more often between men who have sex with other men but it is not limited to that. In the end, no one is safe from this disease unless safe sex practices are upheld.
The symptoms of Syphilis are curious and confusing to even the most experienced medical professional because they often imitate other, more common infections and diseases. This can often lead to misdiagnosis and late treatment which can cause irreversible damage to the health of the one who is infected with Syphilis. Symptoms vary in accordance to what stage the disease is at:
First Stage Syphilis Symptoms and Treatment:
- One sore, a chancre, is typically the primary sign but you can also have more than one. The sore is unique because it will start only in the exact spot where the disease first entered the body.
- Treatment at this stage merely requires an oral antibiotic or a similar method but if the infection continues without treatment, you’ll have much more trouble on your hands.
Second Stage Syphilis Symptoms and Treatment:
- Red and/or brown rough feeling rashes of all sizes, typically on the bottom of feet or palms of the hands.
- Lesions with a mucous membrane will also begin forming in the infected areas.
- Other symptoms also include hair and weight loss, aching muscles, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, fever, headaches and a sore throat.
- Seeking antibiotic treatment for this stage is extremely important because these new symptoms will dissipate over time but this is far from a good thing because that means you’ve reached the final stages.
Final, or Late, Stage Syphilis Symptoms and Treatment:
- Entering the final stage of Syphilis is almost unavoidable when the infection is left untreated and it can cause irreversible damage to many internal organs including the brain, heart, liver.
- Symptoms include dementia, oncoming blindness, paralysis, confused muscle movements and numbness.
- Treatment is still an oral antibiotic but no treatments of Syphilis will repair any damage caused by the disease.
- Common Symptoms Of Syphilis
- Decubitus Ulcer | Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
- Primary Vesicoureteral Reflux Symptoms | Causes | Treatments
- Common Tongue Cancer Symptoms
- Chlamydia Symptoms | Treatments
- How to Get Rid of a Cold Sore
- Common Hep C Symptoms
- MS Symptoms Early